“Prague never lets you go… this dear little mother has sharp claws” – Franz Kafka.
As the great writer who was born and lived in Prague said, the city has its special spirit, which embraces and doesn’t let you go.
My journey from Dubai to the capital of Czech republic starter with FlyDubai Airline flight, which had a hard-to-resist offer on a business class ticket. The price for it was competing with the price of an economy class ticket Dubai-Prague-Dubai on other regular airlines. Plus Flydubai started the wifi service on board, so I was very happy staying online during the 7-hours flight.
10 facts about Prague
1. The history of the Czech Republic`s capital started with the establishment of the Prague Castle approximately at the year 885, which is the oldest castle in the world and one of the main sights of the city.
2. The astronomical clock at the Old Town Hall was established in 1410 and is the oldest astronomical clock existing nowadays.
3. The construction of Charles Bridge started under the rule of King Charles IV in 1357 and was completed in 15th century. Till 1841 it was the only way to cross the Vltava river. There are 30 baroque statues of saints at the both sides of the bridge. It is packed with tourist all year round.
4. City proudly holds a name of a museum under the open sky. It has a precious heritage of buildings of varied architecture styles such as Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Neo-Renaissance, Neo-Gothic, Art Nouveau, Cubist, Neo-Classical and Modern.
5. The Dancing House is a residence of the Nationale-Nederlanden insurance company. It was was built in 1996 and makes a sharp contrast with the historical architecture of the city.
6. The population of the city is approximately 1 267 000 residents.
7. Prague is #19 in the rank of the most visited cities in the world, having 5.47 millions of visitors in year 2015.
8. The city is a true beer brewing capital. It has an enormous number of breweries and a Museum of beer. The Czech Beer festival is held in May during 17 days.
9. There are a lot of concert halls and music clubs in the city. Prague Spring International Music festival is an important annual cultural event, showcasing symphonic orchestras performances and chamber music artist. It takes place at the Rudolfinum concert hall and the Municipal House.
10. Number of Hollywood movies were filmed at Prague. Among them Van Helsing, XXX, Mission Impossible, Hellboy, Cronicles of Narnia.
One of the places i was totally fascinated with was the monastery of St. Agnes. The construction of the monastery started in 1231 for the younger daughter of the King Ottokar I of Bohemia – Agnes. Nowadays the complex of buildings building belongs to the National Gallery and displays Medieval Arts of Bohemia and Central Europe.
It was amazing time to discover the city`s historical sights. By the way the total area Prague is quite small, so it is possible to see all the sights at the central part of the city by walk in one day.
Though Prague is not the most glamorous capital of Europe, I can recommend the luxury hotels, worth to stay.
1. The Four Seasons Hotel is located in the Old Town at the Vltava river, offering amazing view to the Charles Bridge and the Castle.
2. The Intercontinental Hotel Prague is also located at the Vltava river bank, few blocks away from the Old Town square. It has a beautiful rooftop restaurant Zlata Praga.
3. The Buddha-Bar Hotel in the Old Town offers luxurious asian-themed 5* suites.
All pictures are made by this blog owners.
In my next posts I will share my impressions about the Czech cuisine and the nightlife in the city. Stay tuned!